you've been together how long?

June 2, 2009

counting down to the half mary

Obviously, I've only blogged about my 'good' days running. I've had some bad days too. I've come home from tempo runs feeling like I would be sick, and I've had evenings after long runs where I didn't want to touch food - just give me 2 or 3 or 20 Powerades and I'll call that good.

Training was going pretty well the first 7 weeks. My long runs were increasing and my tempo runs were going well. I felt faster. Then, enter the vacations. One week in California meant minus one tempo run and a shorter long run. The next weekend was St George and Zions National Park. We spent that Saturday hiking in Zions, but I was again absent on my long run that week. My 10th week of training was last week and I knew I had to kick it up a notch. Make up for lost distance, you might say.

I tried my scheduled 7-mile tempo run on Thursday, but there was no tempo. Not only was I not able to amp up the speed, I was full 30 seconds slower than my usual pace. And I just wanted to fall face first on the floor when I got home. I thought, you gotta be kidding me. 7 miles? A lousy 7 miles? Barely half the distance of the race I've already paid for and I can't even survive a miserable 7 miles? Anyway, you can imagine. I was feeling pretty anxious. And I was gonna hit the 10-mile mark on Saturday.




That wretched experience also means that I have no explanation for why my 10-mile long run on Saturday went so well. Sure, I had a fried egg on toast beforehand, I stopped at a couple of drinking fountains along the route, and ran through a couple of sprinklers, but... does that really mean the difference between a difficult 7-miler and a breezy 10-miler? I'm not really sure. But my hope is somewhat restored in my ability to at least complete the half mary without dying on the finish line.


I had planned on trying to run the sucker in 2 hours, but I've made the profound observation that my half marathon training is an uncanny analogy to the road of life. You make a plan, you aim to challenge yourself, and you set out with positivity. Life happens, you take a vacation (be it physically or mentally or whatever), you meet a couple of hiccups, and your goals can get turned on their heads. I don't think it means you're a failure or a lazy, it just means you have to roll with life and stay positive and as Clint so philosophically assured me:

'Sometimes it's more than enough to just go the distance.'

(pictures of Zion National Park to come.)

2 comments:

Amy said...

Good work on running the 10. I am glad it went so well. Heres to Bear Lake. Hopefully you will triumph there as well!

Love that quote too!

Linds Forrest said...

You truly are inspirational on your running. I have never done tempo runs while training, what's your tip? How do you time yourself and push yourself without a treadmill?