I had a magical Wednesday this week. I think I'm going to make it an annual October event.
My sister Allison teaches a darling 3rd-grade class and every week she tries to have a volunteer come read to them for 30 minutes before recess. She asked me if I wanted to read to them on a day in October that hadn't been filled with a parent volunteer. Uh, heck yeah?!?
So I dressed up as Samantha the Sorceress and brought Halloween candy in a pumpkin cauldron and read Halloween books to the class. I'm telling you, it was grand.
Those cute little kids sat wide-eyed on the floor in front of me while I gestured my spell-casting eyeball as a warning to behave. Never have I ever had such a rapturous audience to reading some of my Mom's favorite Halloween books, including "The Runaway Pupmkin" and the "Ghost-Eye Tree".
At the end, though, they did come to the conclusion that I could not be a real witch because I did not wear gloves to conceal my claws (They had been reading Roald Dahl's The Witches.)
I felt just like a real witch, though. It was so magic.
Walking through the halls afterward, I got stares and claps and exclamations of "Wow, cool costume!" from other classes. Some kids on their way to recess would ask me, "Are you a real witch?" or "Are you Miss Milne?" (my sister.) I guess even with my witchy make-up on we look alike!

1 comment:
How freakin radical! I volunteered to read some Halloween books at a local elementary school because I was so bored and lonely and had nothing to do while Todd is out of town, but I did NOT get to dress up as a sorceress! You should so make that an annual occurrence straight up!
Post a Comment