you've been together how long?

December 15, 2010

a big change

Last Thursday night, our bishop and one of his counselors stopped by our house.  I had just jumped in the shower after my workout and Clint answered the door and invited them in.  When Clint told them that I could not come out right away, they said that they needed to "speak with me" so they would make another house call and come back.  When I got out of the shower and heard this I hyperventilated. 
 
It's in my nature to worry.  Did I do something wrong?  Am I being released after so short a time being the Beehives I love?  Did someone complain about our Volunteer Babysitting night because they saw how incompetent I was at keeping the Beehive girls organized enough to watch several families's kids at once?  Am I getting a new calling?  What did I do wrong to deserve this?  I realize that this thought train is unreasonable, but like I said: I can't help it.
 
The Bishopric came back soon and sat down with us.  When the bishop told me, "we're releasing you from your current calling," my heart jumped and I had to swallow back tears.  But this sentence was immediately followed up with, "and we're calling you to be a couselor in the Young Women presidency, and you will be over the Beehive class."  Due to the progression of events so far, I did not react to this calling in the typical manner.  Actually, the first wave of emotion I felt was relief. Thank Heaven I get to stay with the Beehives.
 
The intimidation, anxiety, worry, feelings of inadequacy and overwhelming responsibility set in Sunday when everything was made official.  And I realized how much I'm going to miss the ladies from the last presidency who were released.  They did a GREAT job.  Some shoes to fill!
 
Several people, including the new Young Women president, have reassured me that I am the right person for this job.  I am trying to believe it.  I'm just so happy to be with the Beehives and all the Young Women.  I love those girls.  I guess that means I am the right person for the job... I just hope I can do it well.
 
Speaking of people doing a really good job with their callings... Clint had 20 kids in his Sunday school class last Sunday.  That's 20 rambunctious, chatty,  hormonal, self-absorbed teenagers anywhere in the 15-16 year-old range.  Personally , I think there was quite a bit of leakage from other age groups who decided to join the class.  The kids love Clint.  And I was totally in awe of him keeping nearly all the kids' attention for nearly the whole class.  I jest not!!!  A couple of video clips and a couple of pointed questions combined with the compelling story of Belteshazzar, Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego and... voila!  Let it be known that Clint can hold the attention of 20 teenagers at once.  Pretty amazing, huh?

3 comments:

Annie said...

You're perfect for this! What lucky lucky girls and leaders to have you. xoxo

Amy said...

Yay for Young Women's. I am sure the girls just love you!

Hope to see you guys at the Progressive Dinner!

Anonymous said...

You're amazing too, Sam---remember the Lord called you to that calling that you'll love!!!