Wanna see my battle scars from the half marathon?
Don't worry, I am MUCH too proud of them to not show them to the world. I pretty much have been snatching my socks off at the slightest suggestion of interest.
BUT! If you really REALLY want to see them, then you have to earn them.
Just like I did.
A little setting for the day of the race (which, by the way, was also Clint's birthday, but he will receive full recognition in a blog dedicated wholly to himself as I prefer not to share the glory of my battle scars in the same post as someone else's birthday):
-rise, 4 am
-catch the bus, 4:45 am
-reach start line, meet up with the team, and begin the shivering process, 5:05 am
-continue shivering, get as close to the fire as possible, 5:15 am
-drink some energy drinks, continue shivering, 5:50 am
-shivering some more, eat a power bar, 6:15 am
-take a trip to the outhouse, 6:30
-jog and stretch a little to warm up, 6:45 am
-shed outer clothes, 6:50 am
-line up at start line, 7:00
-cross the start line after waiting for everyone in front of me to cross, 7:02 am
-running along the canyon road on a slight downhill and feeling pretty good, 7:15-7:55
-begin noticing pains in my feet at about the 6 mile marker, 8:00
-still feeling good, but pains in feet persisting, 8:00-finish
So, as far as pictures go, here we are racing to the finish. (No, I probably won't buy any of the pictures they snapped of me along the way. They're not my most photogenic moments.)
Clint, triumphantly:
Me, a little less triumph in my stride perhaps but nonetheless in the act of passing another runner:
And after all was said and done, Team Karren (and the guy in jeans who didn't run but is nonetheless an important Team Karren supporter):
Clint socializing with his personal fan club.
Or--wait, is he actually trying to take candy from a baby?
Yes I look terrible and not at all happy about having my picture snapped. But I had to put at least one realistic photo in the lineup:
Ahhhhh. That's better:
And... drumroll please...
the Infamous Blisters Strike Back!!!
Yes, yes... there is one on each foot.
Each approximately the circumference of an oblong golf ball.
(I can't decide which snapshot I prefer. They're both lovely.)
My poor, beloved feet.
Today, one week and a half later:
Happy as a walrus.
Not quite ready to run again, yet, but... happily cross-training, that is.
Peace.


3 comments:
So glad your blisters are healing!
When I heard about the U2 concert being postponed I immediately thought about you... so sorry. Maybe the added anticipation will make it better??
Good work on the half! So awesome! But I have no idea how you ran on those blisters. Holy cow!
Way to go Sammie!!! Those blisters were worth it, weren't they?! The blisters I got from my marathon were shown off proudly and with honor! You rock, chick!
Post a Comment