you've been together how long?

March 26, 2009

a runner's note

Dear Self,

So I'm training for a half marathon.

Um...yikes. Why do I think I can do this?

Breathe...breathe.... I can do this. No big deal. I've run nearly 9 miles before, this is just a few more. Just a teeny, tiny.... barely noticeable, little bit more! Ok, so it's like 4 miles more. 4 miles is like the distance I used to max out on & I now I'm trying to convince myself to do 13.2? I've never run more than 9 miles at once before! What am I thinking??? This is a HALF. MARATHON. Really skinny people with a lot of motivation and a lot of time to train do half marathons. Hardcore runners only! Am I hardcore? Stop it, self. You're being stupid. Of course you can be hardcore. You're training. You're running like 15 miles a week right now & you still have like 11 weeks to train. This is totally doable! I know that tempo run you did last night was a doozy, but look at the facts: You did it! You ran 3 consecutive miles at a whole entire 1 minute under your usual pace! That's something! Sure, it was hard, but it was your first time. Next time will be easier.

You can do this.

Just breathe.

Think about Collective Soul. They will get you through this. "Shine" will you remind you that you can do anything. Imagine the sunshine on your face as your feet pound the pavement!

You are officially a Runner now! You love running! "Heaven let your light shine down"!

I can do a half marathon! Sure! BRING IT ON!!!

Love,

me

6 comments:

Linds Forrest said...

Of course you can!!! Sam, you are so athletic and your mind is strong you will rock at the half!! Which one are you doing? I am doing the SLC Half, maybe we will see each other there. You will rock it!!

And remember 'Pain is temporary, Quiting is forever' - Lance Armstrong

cameo said...

You can totally do it! I am so far from a hardcore runner, and I've run several half marathons and a whole marathon. Plus, it's only 13.1, not 13.2 miles! You can totally do it! The contestants on the Biggest Loser did it and they are BIG people! You are awesome.

Annie said...

How did I not know you were running a half in 11 weeks?!! Good for you? What's the race? And, awesome on your tempo run! That's a big deal! Fill me in , girl!

Amy said...

Sweet! What half marathon are you doing? Would it be the Bear Lake one? You for sure can do it! Good work becoming a real runner! I am jealous!

Shelly Karren said...

I'm training too, Sam, as you know. Good on us! I have only six weeks left before race day.

Nicky said...

Sam, you can TOTALLY do it! lol, i will be on the sidelines with my soda and chips cheering you on! :)