Michael Phelps and his amazing 1/100 of a second victory in his 100 meter butterfly. I'd be really annoyed if I was competing against him, but hey, honestly...I think he's a pretty classy guy considering he's obliterating everyone. He's humble in all his interviews, and he was genuinely ecstatic (as opposed to arrogantly unsurprised) when he saw that he had won. I'm also very proud of him for volunteering for a steroid-usage test.
His mom at the end of the race. She was looking rather forlornly at the result board and holding up two fingers. Then all of a sudden, her eyes went wide, her jaw dropped in realization, and she slumped out of view. Ha ha, what a reaction! She is priceless every time her son wins.
The Russian gymnast competing in the women's vault event trying to get an extra cheek-smooch off Alicia Sacrimone. Isn't the standard amount of cheek-smooches two? Right, left, maybe a hug. Done. But no, the Russian girl leaned in for a THIRD cheek smooch after Alicia had moved on! So bizarre! Did anyone else notice this? The camera man captured the girl awkwardly straining her puckered lips, finally making a contact, and Alicia flinching back around in surprise. Oh my awkward.
Jamaican runner Shelly Ann Fraser winning gold in the women's 100 meter dash. Her face was ecstatic; she was thrilled.
Who is this Usain Bolt fellow? Oh my gosh, he just makes everyone else looks bad! The other guys are pumping their arms and legs as fast as they can and Bolt just looks like he's loping along--any ordinary day. Since when is it fair to give a guy like that the last name "Bolt" anyway?
The US sweep in the men's 400 hurtle! I was so excited we finally topped those freaking amazing Jamaicans. Angelo Taylor, who had been absent from Olympic events since his Gold in 2000, said in his track-side interview that "first of all, I want to thank God for this opportunity to compete." Which was admirable. I'm not sold when athletes say that God answered their prayers and helped them to win the Gold medal; but when he was obviously grateful for being healthy and for the "opportunity," well, then I thought he deserved it.
I'm pretty impressed by the pole-vaulting. That just looks freaky. Yelena Isinbayeva was fun to watch, didn't you think? Oh, and, did anyone see the interview our US silver medalist Jenn Stuczynski had afterward with her coach? The guy is a total jerk! Somebody from our NBC press was able to capture on video his every word. Not very flattering. He was condescending and disapproving and he practically debased her for getting silver.
Favorite names: Svetlana Feofanova, Usain Bolt (no sense trying to forget all the predictable puns), Bershawn Jackson

No comments:
Post a Comment