you've been together how long?

April 4, 2008

If Dr Seuss created a Who Desert

It would have looked just like Arches.

So finally…here’s the scoop on our Moab trip. Clint and his friends played really well. I’m not just being nice when I say I was very impressed and they could have beaten every team there but maybe one. They won their first game and were about to win their second, but they hit misfortune when their star hitter, Bill, came down on someone’s foot (from the opposing team) and sprained it badly. His ankle was as purple and blue and yellow as a garden of pansies and in shape and texture similar to a family-sized can of Campbell’s Chicken Noodle. Clint’s team didn’t have a single substitute, but luckily a Moab local volunteered to fill in. They still played great, but unfortunately Momentum didn’t show up on our side of the net and they lost every game of the tournament from there on out. Phooey. Saturday evening after the tournament and Sunday Clint and I visited Arches. I had never seen the Red Rock Wonderland before and I was in awe of all the asymmetrical, bulbous shapes that I swear might have been straight out of an animated Dr Seuss desert. Precariously balanced rocks, petrified hills, swirling pillars, rolling cliff faces, and sculpted arches captured my imagination and unfortunately the only thing to keep me from gleefully scrambling over the landscape as if it were a playground was the biting cold wind. Anybody up for a road trip to Moab this weekend? I hear it might hit 70!

In front of the Balancing Rock.


The wind was really cold. And I'm a wuss in the cold.


Overlook to Delicate Arch (too cold to do the actual hike to the arch.) Curtis and Heather kneeling in front. Tyson and his wife and new baby next to me and Clint.


The fiery furnace!


Trailhead to Devil's Garden. Is that what it's called?


The legs of Curtis and Clint on the left performing an amazing block which the camera was too slow to capture.




(In case you can't read it, the sign says: "FREE DIRT.")

No comments: