you've been together how long?

February 15, 2012

how to - hopefully - fix runner's knee

My particular brand of "runner's knee" syndrome was not your typical outer-side-of-the-knee pain. It was on the inner knee. And I think I have diagnosed the problem

Well, my physical therapist diagnosed it.

I've been running and working out with this deep ache in my left knee for a while now, and even tried resting from running for the entire month of January before jumping back into my half marathon training, only to discover that the knee pain was still there.

I finally saw a physical therapist. Apparently my hips are not the strongest - especially the lift hip - which has gradually been allowing my left knee to turn slightly inward as I run. The idea is that increasing hip strength prevents runner's knee by keeping your hip, knee, and ankle in proper alignment as you stride.

So I am now officially doing special hip exercises every day to strengthen my hip and - hopefully - stop straining my knee so that the pain can go away.

There are 3 exercises total. I'm sure I could find a way to post visually appealing pictures of them if anyone's interested.

Good news: I can still keep training for my half marathon as long as I keep treadmill miles to a minimum and make up the mileage with elliptical time. Can do.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have a tempo run today that needs to be taken care of!

No comments: